Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve heard about ChatGPT.
It’s taken the world by storm. Released late last year, it gained 100 million users within a month, the world's fastest growing user base. It had 1.6 billion visits in June of this year alone. It’s safe to say ChatGPT is everywhere — including HR departments.
That’s right. With the right prompts, ChatGPT can be an HR tool that empowers you to provide a great employee experience by speeding up processes and eliminating repetitive tasks. Here are four key benefits of ChatGPT for HR departments!
Understanding ChatGPT in HR
Let’s start at the beginning: what is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an AI large language model (LLM) that was trained on tons of text data to be able to produce human-like responses. Before you jump into using it, it’s important to understand that ChatGPT doesn’t think — it doesn’t figure out problems, and it doesn’t search the Web. What it’s doing when it answers inquiries is it predicts what the most likely next word is, based on its training from text data.
That concept is fundamental to understanding ChatGPT’s uses — and limitations.. Because ChatGPT is a language prediction model, it’s able to help write and generate content you might need in an HR department. It’s not going to search the Web and find you the best new research in HR, though.
You can access ChatGPT on the website of Open AI, the startup behind the tool. You can create a free account, or opt into a paid one for more advanced features. Then you can get started by giving ChatGPT prompts to which it can respond.
So, what does that all mean for your HR department?
Let’s dive into four of the key benefits of using ChatGPT in HR.
Benefit #1: Accelerating Recruitment and Selection
First up, ChatGPT can help accelerate recruitment in multiple ways.
Writing Job Descriptions
It takes time to sit down and write a job description from scratch. In fact, 65% of HR professionals say it takes them2 or more hours to write a job description from start to finish. Instead of spending those hours writing a job description, you can provide the necessary information to ChatGPT and draft initial job descriptions for you in a matter of seconds. An example prompt is below to get you started. Make sure to review the final output and make any adjustments that are specific to the position.
“Generate a job description for the position of [Job Title] at [Company Name]. Highlight the key responsibilities, qualifications, and any other relevant details that would help potential candidates understand the role and its importance within the organization."
Writing Interview Questions
Choosing the right interview questions for job candidates is a meticulous process. Several factors come into play: Do the questions effectively assess qualifications, skills, and culture fit? Are they aligned with best practices and legal standards?
ChatGPT can help streamline this process to save some time while considering effective assessments of candidates. Below is an example prompt.
“Please provide a list of interview questions for the position of [Job Title] at [Company Name]. These questions should assess the candidate's qualifications, skills, and cultural-add characteristics. Additionally, include both behavioral and situational questions to gain insights into their abilities and experiences. These questions should follow best practices and legal requirements.”
Benefit #2: Transforming Employee Onboarding and Training
How? You can feed ChatGPT information about your company’s policies, and then generate resources based off of that information to provide new employees.
To set ChatGPT up to be able to answer questions about your company, you first need to provide the information in your company handbook. Select all the text in the handbook (using Ctr l+ A or Command + A) and paste it into ChatGPT. Then say, “referencing the above information, generate a brief FAQ summary that can be used for new employees”.
You can also have ChatGPT:
- Provide a summary of benefits.
- Create a schedule of onboarding events
- Summarize your dress code
- Write fresh instructions about how employees can request time off
Doing these kinds of things can help make your employees’ experience better. You’re saving everyone time without reducing the support you give your workforce.
Benefit #3: Enhancing Employee Engagement and Support
How? Here are a few tips to help you get there:
- Use ChatGPT to provide real-time support. Feed it with information (not confidential info, of course) about policies and commonly asked questions and ask it to provide a summary. Then you can make this information available to employees.
- Have ChatGPT create questions for a survey on employee engagement.
- Ask ChatGPT to craft welcome messages, birthday greetings, or congratulatory notes for achievements. This can help employees feel appreciated and valued.
The goal here is to increase support, which is a powerful part of increasing engagement and reducing turnover.
Benefit #4: Streamlining HR Operations and Processes
HR is packed full of operations and processes, and you can use ChatGPT to streamline or eliminate those repetitive tasks, like:
- Data summary. You can input data from surveys or any other source and have ChatGPT format it in an easy to digest way.
- Leave management. Using your company handbook, ChatGPT can summarize company leave policies, including accrual rates, approval processes, and special considerations. ChatGPT can also maintain a leave calendar that displays the approved leave schedules for all employees. This helps in resource allocation.
- Scheduling. There are several ChatGPT integrations available that will allow you to create automations in your calendar.
- Policy questions. Using your company handbook in. If you encounter policy questions, ChatGPT can help you summarize the policy in an easy to understand way.
Now you won’t need to spend hours trying to coordinate exactly how someone’s leave will work. ChatGPT can help you coordinate and communicate, so you’re free to put your energy toward what only you can do.
What ChatGPT Can’t Replace in HR
While ChatGPT can obviously provide a lot of benefits in HR, it can’t do the entire job.. After all, you can’t let ChatGPT take over performance reviews. That is far to interpersonal for a chatbot to take over. AI also can’t replace:
- Emotional support. ChatGPT can take over a lot of operational work, but it can’t replace the human touch needed to resolve conflicts or support employees emotionally.
- Change. Change is something that can be spearheaded by an HR department, and driving change is still something only you can do. ChatGPT can help you send emails, write up documents, and take care of the details, but you’ll be the one running the show.
- Shaping organizational culture. HR professionals are the ones shaping organizational culture. Again, you can utilize AI to help you get where you want to go, but you’re the one actively changing and shaping organizational culture for the better.
ChatGPT is a tool, but it’s not going to replace you. The human touch is still so necessary in HR, but you can let AI take over some of those time consuming tasks, like answering the same questions over and over or filling out paperwork.
Increasing Efficiencies to Drive Results
AI can speed up and streamline repetitive HR processes. This frees your department to spend time on high-impact initiatives, like employee wellness programs.
Workforce wellness initiatives have been shown to boost an organization’s bottom-line — research shows they improve employee productivity while decreasing the costs of talent management and healthcare. Gympass, the world’s leading corporate wellness platform, reduces turnover by up to 40% and cuts healthcare costs by up to 35%.
Talk to a wellbeing specialist today to see how Gympass can advance your organization.
- Duarte, F. (2023, July 13). Number of ChatGPT Users (2023). Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://explodingtopics.com/blog/chatgpt-users.
- Harter, J. (2023, January 25). U.S. Employee Engagement Needs a Rebound in 2023. Gallup. Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://www.gallup.com/workplace/468233/employee-engagement-needs-rebound-2023.aspx.
- Hu, K. (2023, February 2). ChatGPT sets record for fastest-growing user base - analyst note. Reuters. Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://www.reuters.com/technology/chatgpt-sets-record-fastest-growing-user-base-analyst-note-2023-02-01/.
- Marr, B. (2023, March 7). The 7 Best Examples Of How ChatGPT Can Be Used In Human Resources (HR). Forbes. Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2023/03/07/the-7-best-examples-of-how-chatgpt-can-be-used-in-human-resources-hr/?sh=7a1422174a82.
- Marr, B. (2023, May 19). A Short History Of ChatGPT: How We Got To Where We Are Today. Forbes. Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2023/05/19/a-short-history-of-chatgpt-how-we-got-to-where-we-are-today/?sh=24b2f4b9674f.
- Navarra, K. (2023, April 4). ChatGPT and HR: A Primer for HR Professionals. SHRM. Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/technology/pages/chatgpt-hr-primer-ai-workplace.aspx.
- Ndukwe, O. (2020, August 28). How Long Does It Take to Write A Job Description? Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://resources.hrsg.ca/blog/how-long-does-it-take-to-write-a-job-description#:~:text=According%20to%20our%20results%3A,a%20job%20description%20(from%20scratch).
- Shields, S. (2022, September 29). Estimated Time On HR: Recruiting Tasks. Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://stratus.hr/resources/estimated-time-on-hr-recruiting-tasks.
- Southern, M. (2023, August 3). 24 Shocking Employee Onboarding Statistics You Need to Know in 2023. Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://www.oak.com/blog/employee-onboarding-statistics/#:~:text=Great%20Employee%20Onboarding%20Can%20Improve,productivity%20by%20over%2070%20percent.
- Sullivan, J. (2013, May 20). Why You Can’t Get A Job … Recruiting Explained By the Numbers. Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://www.ere.net/articles/why-you-cant-get-a-job-recruiting-explained-by-the-numbers.
- Verlinden, N. (2023, July 24). ChatGPT for HR (in 2023): What Can ChatGPT Do? Retrieved August 10, 2023 from https://www.aihr.com/blog/chatgpt-for-hr-guide/.
The Gympass Editorial Team empowers HR leaders to support worker wellbeing. Our original research, trend analyses, and helpful how-tos provide the tools they need to improve workforce wellness in today's fast-shifting professional landscape.